Ocean Theme Fun Friday
Shark Theme Fun Friday is chock full of DIY kid crafts and free printables. You will never guess what their favorite craft was!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Ocean Theme Fun Friday
I have an in home daycare.. Have I mentioned that? Any-who, we have a day each week that we just play all day along with a few crafts. They love to have different themes so we change it up a lot! This week is apparently Shark Week on television, I didn’t know because I only have internet TV. You can read about that here. BACK to the topic at hand.
How I decorated for Ocean/ Shark Theme
The kids wanted a Shark theme fun Friday so I literally made it up in one night doing most of the work that morning. I scoured Pinterest for ideas, finally coming up with things that I could do quickly. I had a small roll of blue paper that I used for the water (you could also use a blue blanket as water) and found some boxes for boats. I was super lucky because my church had just done a VBS with an ocean theme room so I found netting that I used as a quick backdrop with some cut out fish and even some real seashells for the kids to hold. They loved holding a real star fish!
Decorating Ideas for you.
- Water: I used a large roll of blue paper, another idea would be a large blue blanket or sheet, blue fabric could also work!
- Fish: My church happened to have some cut out fish but you could find some like it at any teacher supply store, or party decorating store. another idea would be to just cut some out of construction paper…
- Large Shark: I drew that shark on a large piece of cardboard then painted it. If you have a projector to blow a picture up for copying I made a game from the same shark with a printable below.
- Boats: I was down to the wire and my daycare kids were showing up any minute so I grabbed some boxes that I had saved and just set them out. You could take a sharpie draw a wood grain on the side however, I don’t think kids really care.. as long as they can play freely they are ecstatic!
- Nets: Again the church just happened to have some nets leftover.. again I got lucky! Your nearest party store should have this also.
Shark / Ocean Theme activities and printables that the kids all loved:
Click links below to see our activities!
- 2 Ocean Mini Coloring Books
- 2 Ocean Emergent Reader Books
- 5 Ocean Theme Color Pages
- Shark Toss Game
- Glitter fish
All crafts were done between breakfast and lunch in case someone left early. The afternoon is always free play. Kids love to go wild in a themed environment. They had my boats (boxes) completely flattened by mid-afternoon, but had decided they were now rafts that they could still sail the seas. Kids have the most brilliant ideas! Their role playing is amazing. My kids could play with lint on the floor and be perfectly happy, but a weekly theme feeds into their creativity and imagination.
Do you have weekly play themes at your house?
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.