Perler Beads are a great gift to give to kids but they can run out of ideas. This Easy Rainbow Unicorn Fuse Bead Template is sure to spark some creativity. The Unicorn’s mane can be made like a rainbow colored or pick the same color melty beads.
Your kids are going to have a lot of fun making this fuse bead craft and it’s a great way to keep them busy on a rainy day. So grab your bucket of beads and let’s make a rainbow, rainbow heart, and their own mythical creature with this easy rainbow unicorn pattern for kids.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission (at no cost to you). Thanks for the support! See our Disclosure page.
What You Need to Make Rainbow Unicorn Fuse Beads
- Perler Beads
- Large Fuse Bead Peg Shape Board Set or
- Clear Fuse Bead Boards
- Rainbow Unicorn Fuse Bead Template (at the bottom of the page)
- Parchment Paper
- Perler Bead Dispenser
How to Make Rainbow Unicorn with Fuse Beads
Here are the quick instructions for these kid-friendly perler bead patterns.
- Grab your Rainbow Unicorn Perler fuse bead template at the bottom of this post. Print the template to its actual size and lay it under a clear Perler pegboard or beside a solid colored pegboard. Place a jelly roll pan or something flat under the perler board that can be moved if your child isn’t finished with it and you need to move it.
- Using a fuse bead pegboard that is at least 29×29 for 5mm beads. Working from top to bottom or side to side carefully place the beads one by one into the pegboard. Be sure to count across if you can’t see the template through the bottom. Work on aligning the pegs in place to duplicate the template.
- When you have your Rainbow Unicorn complete. It is time to iron. *Make sure to do this part for your children. Heat the iron to low-medium and lay the pegboard holding your Rainbow Unicorn craft on the ironing board. Place a square of parchment paper on top and gently press the hot iron on top of the Rainbow Unicorn and press and hold for 10-20 seconds. when the perler beads are melted together and cooled. Remove from the pegboard. Set the Rainbow Unicorn on top of the ironing board and do the same thing on the opposite side using the parchment paper again and let cool.
Tips and Tricks to Make Rainbow Unicorn Perler Beads Easier
Perler bead templates are easy frugal fun for kids to work on their hand-eye coordination and imagination. You can find the unicorn pattern sheet at the bottom of this page. The best place to buy fuse beads also known as hama beads is at your local craft or hobby shop. Walmart and Target also have fuse beads but not the variety that Micheal’s has.
Set the printed unicorn fuse bead template under or beside a large pegboard. Place each bead the same as the template. Count the spaces over if that helps or you can also use a clear pegboard if you can find one.
Melt the perler beads in the microwave for about 20 seconds checking every 10 seconds. You can also use a piece of parchment paper or ironing paper on top and use a low-heat iron to melt the beads. The iorn only 10-20 seconds per side making sure to use the wax paper each time.
Melty beads are an easy craft that can be gotten out in a few minutes. Just make sure they have a jelly roll pan or something to catch all those rolling beads. This is real life here… So if your kids drop a bucket of beads just break out the vacuum.
Frugal adventures with fuse beads don’t have to be a nightmare use. Be careful with off-brand beads they can still be used but read the directions before heating. Some of the off-brand beads melt a little differently so try using a lower-heat.
Perler Beads Patterns and Craft Idea Book, 28 pgsPerler Bead PenPerler Beads Craft Bead Sweeper for Easy Clean UpPerler Sunny Days Bright Color Fuse Bead Bucket, 5500 pcsPerler Beads Bead ‘n’ Carry Craft Activity Kit, 1204 (Product Color May Vary)Perler Beads Large Fuse Bead Pegboards, 18pcs
Let your kids use all the colors of the rainbow when making their own unicorn crafts. Kids love to make things their own and a little different that other unicorns. My little girls love to make everything pink or green I end up with a completely green unicorn that we made into a keychain.
Get ready for hours of fun! Kids are also great at coming up with new perler bead patterns. Print an empty template and let them design their own perler bead unicorns or maybe make a huge rainbow filling the whole base.
Younger kids may need a little extra help but using a Perler Bead Pen Dispenser can help. You can also use a pair of fuse bead tweezers. You will use a lot of white beads when making a unique creature like a unicorn.
The unicorn’s body can be a different color but white is what we used today. Feel free to make your unicorn with various colors like blue, grey, purple, or whatever color you choose. Check back for more free perler bead patterns for kids.
What Else Can I Do with Unicorn Fuse Beads
This Rainbow Unicorn perler bead pattern has so many options. These Cutesy Crafts are great to give as gifts for a birthday or any special holiday. Your kids can display their artwork in the window by adding a string through the top like a sun catcher.
A homemade craft is the perfect way to show someone you really care and to show off your new artistic design. Make this unicorn bead pattern, your own design patterns, or other perler patterns in several different colors as a fun way for someone to choose their favorite as their gift. Older children may have more of their own designs made than younger kids.
If you have someone you visit in the nursing home bring them a beautiful rainbow heart to hang up. Each perler bead creation is unique so each one should be treated a little differently. A little bit of creativity and you’ve got yourself a cute hair barrette with a fuse bead flower.
If you want something to hang on your bag try this Cute French Fries Fuse Bead Template or a soccer ball as a fun craft keychain. You can also make a cute necklace out of a fuse bead heart.